Procedure for an Extension of Validity of a Replacement of Lost Passport


Travel the World Visas can assist with expedite passport processing (within 5 business days)  Strictly by appointment only, please email us at or or call 202-223-8822 for appointment.

A temporary (replacement/limited) passport is a passport issued to replace lost, stolen, mutilated valid passports and its validity is limited to a shorter period of time (normally one year). In all cases the replacement passport will carry a Passport Agency endorsement identifying it as such.

Effective September 26, 2005, as an additional security enhancement, Passport Services will no longer amend valid passports. Instead, customers requesting name changes, extension of validity for limited passports, or correction of a printing error will apply for replacement passports.

Please follow the procedure accordingly to avoid processing delay. An incomplete or incorrectly completed application will delay the issuance of the passport.

Please send the following documents to Travel the World Visas for processing:

  1. Expired or expiring replacement U.S. Passport
  2. One completed and signed passport application form, please fill out form DS 5504.  Must have an Original Signature.
    IMPORTANT: U.S. Passport Agency/Department of State REQUIRES that you fill out the DS 5504 application form on-line at After you complete the form on-line, please print AND sign. NOTE: On the “Mailing Address” line on the passport application, please type your home address where your passport will be mailed directly from the passport agency.  If your application is rejected for whatever reason, please make sure to immediately contact Travel the World Visas.
  3. Proof of citizenship: Submit original certificate of birth with a raised seal, or certified true copy of the original certificate of birth issued by either the state or county where applicant was born (No hospital issued birth certificate will be accepted by the Passport Agency). For naturalized U.S. citizens, submit the original naturalization certificate issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service.NOTE:
    Original old passport (Passport that was lost and found) – must be submitted if the bearer recovers a lost passport after a limited passport is issued. The recovered passport will normally be canceled. A passport previously reported as a lost or stolen should not be used under any circumstances.
  4. Two recent original passport size photographs (2” x 2”) on a white background (click here for the regulations for acceptable passport-type photograph)
  5. Signed letter of authorization. Must have an Original Signature (wet signature). NOTE: Digital or Electronic signature is NOT acceptable.
  6. Letter addressed to the U.S. Passport Agency requesting issuance of a new passport and you must indicate the efforts you made in recovering the lost passport
  7. Proof of Departure (one of the following if requesting for a rush processing)
    ● Copy of the flight itinerary
    ● Copy of the airline ticket
    ● Letter from your company stating intended travel plans
  8. Travel the World Visas Service Order Form
  9. Government fee: (NOTE: Our company can issue check to the Passport Agency)
    $79.53 Check or Money Order Payable to “Department of State” (Passport Book)

Please send all the required documents mentioned above and payment (Money Order, Company Check, Cashier’s Check, American Express, Visa or MasterCard or Discover) by FedEx OR UPS to:

1930 18TH STREET NW, UNIT #1
TELEPHONE: 202-223-8822
FAX: 530-579-3315

Requirements and fees are subject to change without prior notice. All fees are non-refundable, if your application was denied by the consulate or the Passport Agency, or if you withdraw your application that has already been submitted to the consulate or Passport Agency.

Fee Information

Service Fee:

$650.00/person – 5 Business Days
$435.00/person – 7 to 10 Business Days Processing
$185.00/person – 3 to 4 weeks
$135.00/person – 6 weeks

Return Mail Fee

$48.00 (1-3 passports) Overnight Delivery
$40.00 (1-3 passports) 2-Day Delivery
$85.00 (1-3 passports) Saturday Delivery

For Alaska and Hawaii, please add $25.00 on the Return Mail Fee

Travel the World Visas Service Order Form

For the safety of your passport, we recommend delivery by courier.  If there were a delay, we would be able to track or trace it.

Please send all required documents and payment (Money Order, Company Check, Cashier’s Check, American Express, Visa or MasterCard) by courier to:

1930 18TH STREET NW, UNIT #1

Travel Smart. Travel Safe.  Register your trip on-line with STEP, the U.S. Embassy Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.  It’s free.  So why not make it part of your travel planning and personal security?

U.S. embassies and consulates assist nearly 200,000 Americans each year who are victims of crime, accident, or illness, or whose loved ones need to contact them in an emergency. Although it is unlikely, should natural disaster, terrorism, or civil unrest strike during your foreign travel, the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate would be your source of assistance and information. By registering your trip, you help the embassy or consulate locate you when you might need them the most.


Travel the World Visas acts only as an agent, and accepts no responsibility for the services of any Travel Agent, Consulate, Passport Agency or Embassy in connection with the granting of visas. We are not responsible for delays, loss of passports or damage caused by such service providers or the U.S. Mail.
Requirements and fees are for U.S. Citizens only. Contact Travel the World Visas for information on other nationalities.
Requirements and fees are subject to change without prior notice.
Sorry but all fees are non-refundable.